Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bad News

Okay, slipped on a curb a couple days ago. I was on my way to get dinner at my favorite noodle place just two blocks away from the house when it happened. They have these curbs that are like a foot high and have sloped edges, so somehow I slipped and landed on my left ankle. It hurt, and was kind of scraped up, but I figured that it was nothing too serious since I could still limp back to the house. I washed it off and went to bed.

The next morning, however, I had shooting pains up my leg as soon as I tried standing. Told my roommate, who helped find someone to take me to the hospital. Waited at the hospital for a couple hours before I could even get x-rayed, then a couple more to see a doctor. The doctor said there is a "stable fracture" and the swelling and inflammation was likely from muscle tearing. And because the bone wasn't actually broken, there is not much they can do but wrap up the foot and prescribe painkillers.

Will be coming home about a week early because of this. I fly out tomorrow night. As sad as I am to be leaving Thailand, I am grateful that I still had plenty of amazing experiences during my time here. It could've happened the first day here, but luckily it didn't. I am staying positive, and looking forward to being back home with my kitties. They will be good company while I can't get around much in the next few weeks.


Took this picture right before we went to the hospital. The swelling has gone down some since then.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch! I'm so sad you got hurt but excited to have you back home again in just a couple of days!!! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just never know what life is going to throw us (in this case, a stupid curb). I bet you'll just be glad to get back home so mom can take you around town in a wheel chair. I'd come over and perform an interpretive dance if I lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is terrible! There must be a reason for this. It seems like no good deed goes unpunished. Safe travels and quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate to this, as I fractured my right lateral malleolus (end of the fibula) on the last day of a December 2010 trip to Balboa Park in San Diego. I was racing down the stairs to the railroad museum and missed the step before the landing. Had to wear a big, heavy boot, but 2 months later, I was back on my bike. Good luck for a speedy recovery. I have really enjoyed your travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it is getting better! Can't wait to hear about your travels...Lynda Baumgartner

    ReplyDelete